Thursday 27 March 2014

Wonders of the Internet.

When I purchased my first computer, an Apple 2E my reason was to give my children the opportunity to learn and use computers.  I was determined that no matter how impoverished we were, they would have every educational opportunity that I could provide.  Now I have five year old grandchildren who challenge me to a game of Hearthstone.  Incidentally, if you like playing games and you are a bit senior like me, I would recommend this game.  It is a card game that involves challenging and demolishing your opponent and is free to play online.  Getting back to computers - not only did the kids learn computers but so did I.  Following this, I obtained my first modem and went 'online'. Wow, I was hooked.  In those days of dial up it cost me quite a bit of money to access the information I liked in different libraries and from other places.

Now this morning, I have checked my emails, my bank account and read the news.  I checked out some books from the regional library online and looked up everyone on Facebook to see what they have been doing.  Later I will peruse some of my favourite blogs.  Thank goodness for ADSL and I hope soon NBN.

After I was made redundant a few years ago, I started studying online with OUA to fill my time.  As I said in my bio, I am not a social person so I couldn't pursue some of the things that I might have, like group activities or volunteer work. But through the internet I have access to several universities, great library collections and recently learnt embroidery from Mary Corbet's "needlenthread" blog that includes videos of various stitches. 

My greatest wish would be to see more elderly people using the internet to communicate and break down their isolation.  My second wish would be for people to stop railing against kids for being on computers all day.  In these days, there are very few places for kids to gather that are safe where they can play or associate.  And in my experience, kids are not just playing games on the computer.  They are communicating with friends, watching videos on a wide range of subjects or playing and listening to music.  Sometimes they are even constructing their own videos and remixing some music.

Our kids are experiencing something that we could not have ever imagined.  I don't believe we can apply old standards or lifestyles to the current generations.  This is a different world and rather than try to drag them away from it, I believe we should try and dive in with them and gain a better understanding of what's going on.  The internet and the www have opened the world to them and life has changed in ways we might find difficult to comprehend.  Jobs, entertainment, recreation, education and relationships will be very different from even the fairly immediate past.  So give the kids a break.  Sure encourage them to have exercise and step into Real Life occasionally but also recognise that part of their life will always be spent online in the wonders of cyberland.

No comments:

Post a Comment