Friday 4 April 2014

Studying - A Lifetime Ambition

In my youth long ago I would have liked to go to University but that wasn't possible.  Circumstances and financial restraints prohibited this for me and many of my generation.  Later I was too busy working towards getting my four children through their education.  The day came when I was made redundant and time stretched endlessly before me.  

Many people in a similar situation of either voluntary or forced retirement,  joined groups or volunteered in a new meaningful lifestyle.   I couldn't do this because of my ineptness in social or community situations. Outside of work, I stayed at home and had very few contacts with other people.  Fortunately, I was saved from absolute boredom through the internet particularly the new opportunities for studying online through distance education.  Open Universities Australia opened their doors for me to a new and exciting world.  Not only could I study at a University level but I had access to many of the best universities in Australia and a multitude of interesting study units.

My two favourites are Macquarie University for Philosophy and Curtin University for all things internet.  If you are interested however I am sure there is lots of good stuff at the other Universities depending on your interests.